Friday, October 15, 2010

Day Twelve: Life of my Favorite Musician. Or Something Like That.

 I really don't pay that much attention to musical artists' lives. I mean, sure, I know Beethoven was deaf and whatnot, but when it comes to CURRENT artists, I really don't care that much. So, once again, I'm switching this one up to be life of my favorite author. Okie dokie?

  Alright. Um. Crap, I still got nothing.

  Okay, so, because I want to sound intelligent for once, I'll say Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Of the things she's written, I've only read "The Yellow Wallpaper", but it was very haunting for me. And, what with my summer in China of doing next to nothing every day, I feel like I can really relate to the process of slowly going insane. Very cool short story, look it up if you haven't read it.

  Anyway, Gilman based that story off of her own experience. She had been going through postpartum depression, but in those days they didn't have a diagnosis for that, so they said she was simply "hysterical" and gave her the "rest treatment". This means she would basically do nothing all day long and she was not allowed, under any circumstances, to write (which was her outlet). She tried this treatment for a while, but she was getting worse and worse. She eventually got divorced from her husband, stopped the "rest treatment", and  wrote this story and sent it to the doctor who'd prescribed it. He never responded, but he later changed his theory, which he said was because of reading her eery descriptions in "The Yellow Wallpaper".

  She was diagnosed with cancer much later in her life, and she ended up committing suicide with chloroform. The end. Kind of a lame ending, sorry.

  Man, and I think I have to do ANOTHER music-related question tomorrow! Boo! I know these questions can't be that interesting for you to read, because I feel pretty bored writing them. Sorry. Book report, anyone?

1 comment: