Saturday, April 23, 2011

Frustration . . . Thy Name Is Sims 3!

  So, Sims 3 is great. Or, I think it might be great. It would have to NOT CRASH EVERY FIVE MINUTES for me to be sure.

   My computer fits all the requirements it specifies. And, sure, it's getting to be an old geezer these days, but I JUST WIPED the dang thing, so it's not like it's overloaded with crap. But, still, I tended to think it was the whole old-computer-that-can't-keep-up dealio, until McKay looked up some forums on it. Looks like EVERYONE has this problem with it, unless their computer is state of the art (and even some of those people had problems). Every time I go out in the neighborhood, it crashes. Every time I save, it crashes. And even if I just hang around the house, within a half hour of real-people time, it crashes. Something about the graphics putting too much strain on the computer's graphic chip. . . thingy.

  Still, I've been trying. I put all the game graphics down as low as I could, and I had McKay try to figure out how to do the same thing on my computer, but after a valiant attempt, he thought it might be better for his sanity to give it up as a bad job. But, because I've wanted this game for so long and wasted so much good money on it, I keep on rebooting it every time it crashes (which takes forever, by the way).

  I'm about at my wit's end. This game may or may not be the death of me. I would probably return it . . . but I realized today that the cashier at Target forgot to give me my receipt (isn't that illegal?). Also, I paid in cash, so it wouldn't be in the system. Thank you, Murphy's Law.

  All in all, it could be an amazing game. It sure looks like it from the glimpses I get. But I don't think I'll ever know for sure. Unless, you know, someone wants to buy me a super computer. I'd be down with that.

2 comments:

  1. So my game used to crash too. Have you tried updating it? Also, my game used to crash when my computer would overheat, which was like every time I tried to play, so I had to literally turn a fan on and point it at my computer. And having it plugged into a power source helps it run faster. I have a mac from 2008 so it's not super state of the art.

    Sims 3 is so much fun, so you have to figure out how to play it! There are also some like, hacks you can do to change some of the settings that might make it crash and slow down the frames per second. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to tell me if you ever figure it out. It looks like a good one, and I wouldn't mind getting it (but only if you have worked all the bugs out for me first!).

    ReplyDelete