Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Note to McKay: DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL AFTER MAY 1

  McKay and I will have been married for one year on Sunday. While this is an exciting milestone, I am slightly dreading it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE giving gifts. I even try to find excuses for it sometimes when I find an especially perfect gift for someone. But that doesn't happen so much with McKay.

  McKay likes practical gifts. In other words, things he needs. I deal more in the "want" category. This division creates problems sometimes when holidays roll around. So you know, every store I pass I point out a million things I'd love to own. I have no shortage of things I want, and my family knows that I am the easiest person in the world to shop for. And yet for Christmas, McKay gave me . . . a cooler!

  Wait, what?

  Okay, yes, we needed it--we go on an extraordinarily large amount of long car trips. But, no, it was never anywhere near being on my wishlist.
   Has it been useful? Yes, very. Do I still tease him mercilessly about it? Oh, heavens, yes. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer buys Marge the ironing board cover.

When I called for gift ideas today, the first thing he asked for was socks.

Socks. For a first anniversary present. And who says romance is dead?

  After wandering around the mall for two hours, hoping to stumble on a gem or two, I exited with pink nail polish, a new dress, and . . . socks. At least if I get another cooler, I covered my wants myself. Still, the thought of giving him socks for our one year anniversary makes me die a little inside.

 Does anyone else have an amazingly hard spouse to buy for? If so, what do you usually end up buying for them? And any other Christmas cooler receivers out there?

P.S. McKay wanted me to point out that the cooler was actually NOT my main Christmas present. He painted me that lovely Princess and the Frog picture, remember? And numerous other presents that neither of us remember because the cooler has become infamous and forefront whenever I think about Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I am SOOOOOOOOOO sorry. Poor McKay doesn't know what he is in for. He hasn't spent a big Christmas with our family and realize the pressure involved with having Dad as the example. Poor Eric gave me tongs to pick up a cooked turkey one year. I just looked at him, silently stunned, and he explained that I had, had trouble taking the turkey out on Thanksgiving. We cook turkey once a year...on Thanksgiving, so I couldn't even use my special gift for an entire year. Things have gotten much better and he is typically a great gift giver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard husband to buy for. A little different than McKay....he has things he needs too but doesn't necessarily want them as gifts. Andrew has a wish list but it's always things that are hugely expensive like a new mountain bike or a $500 RC car or things that are really out of our price range. So, in the end I have to resort to buying the smaller things that he needs which is a bummer. Girls are just easier to shop for, there are a plethora of inexpensive things that will still make us happy. Maybe you could try getting him a new scripture case or a fun church book. I always go into Deseret Book for ideas. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete