Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Day 8: Three Passions I Have

  Like I said before, I like anything with a good story, so most of my "passions" lie there.

  For example, I love reading. I re-read my books constantly (which seems like a rare practice for some reason) because reading is like soaking in a hot tub for my brain. But the first time I read a book it's more of a whirlwind, devouring the story to know what happens next. When I re-read I can pay more attention to the little things and just relax into the words. I'll admit I read a lot of fluff, because let's be honest, writers like Ralph Waldo Emerson just aren't a good brain soak.

  I also really enjoy acting. I'm hesitant to say I'm "passionate" about it because that makes it seem like I think I'm really good at it or something. I audition well because I'm able to act like I'm at ease on stage, even though my heart is in my throat and I feel like I need to pee/vomit. I think this is due to the fact that many social interactions are anxiety-inducing for me, so I've gotten pretty good at pretending that I'm not inwardly freaking out.

  Obviously I'm passionate about writing as well. You don't blog for three years with little-to-no audience without truly enjoying writing. (Although many kind people at Cara's wedding told me they're regular readers, which made me very happy indeed)

  I'm not sure if "passionate" is the right word to describe my gaming habits, either. "Obsessed" might be a better fit. Again, I'm in it for the story. I re-play my RPGs (Role Playing Games) an embarrassing amount because I like trying out different personalities and seeing how that changes the story. It feels more intimate than reading because you're in the steering wheel, affecting the story. Unless you're reading choose-your-own-adventure books. Those were pretty cool. Except I kept dying.

  That's more than three, sorry. They're all pretty much the same category, though.

  What are your passions?

 

1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way about acting. I'm not good at it, but I have a knack for it because growing up I was SO shy (SOOO SHY!) that learning to have a simple conversation was learning to act. And once I learned that I had to learn to be funny. Work in progress. But I feel like I could do some super ammature improv. Except for the fact that I'm super spacy and often forget extremely common words.

    Anyway, I enjoyed the post! I've noticed those things about you :)

    My passions are: (and I'm gonna use the word passion despite my lack of talent):
    1. Learning
    2. Goal Setting
    3. Anything artsy! Music, drawing, singing, etc. Basically anything that requires me to be creative and expressive. I love writing but for some reason it is the most intimidating art form in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete