Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 17: What Do I Want to be Remembered For. . .

  You know, in my experience, people usually remember me for bad reasons. Like how when they first met me, they thought I was a stuck-up [bad word] and they wanted to sock me in the face (true story). Or the many times I have said something without really thinking it over and it came out as a thumb-biting insult that they will never, ever cross their heart and hope to die forget or forgive me for. That usually happens when I'm trying to compliment someone. Or I say something incredibly blonde. Like the time Kellie, Cara and I got in an argument over how to pronounce "Saudi Arabia", IF that was even the real name of the country! I was convinced that the country's name was "Arab" for some reason, and here was my argument: "'Arabian"? You know, like 'Californian'?! It's not 'Californ-YA [ia]'!". "Yeah!" Kellie heartily agreed. Then, at the same time, "Wait. . . what?" Then we all laughed at how stupid I am, and how gullible Kellie is.

  So, of all of those, I would like to be remembered as someone who does not how to pronounce anything. In my head, I have a lot of words that I KNOW are mispronounced, but I like my way of pronouncing them better, so I just keep on truckin'. Like the word "bury". Most people pronounce this as "barry". I pronounce it how it looks--"burr-y". Which I think sounds cooler, anyway.

  Actually, I looked up the pronunciation of "bury" and it said "ber-ee", which I think could be either of those. So I COULD be right, Cara! See!

  What do you guys say? "Barry" or "Burr-y?" Not that it matters--I'll never learn.

2 comments:

  1. I was JUST thinking of you saying "burr-y" earlier today! hahaha I didn't think I had ever told you that I thought it was weird. Thank you dictionary for clearing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you told me that you and Jacob had a whole discussion on how I pronounce everything weird. Which is true.

    ReplyDelete