Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Netflix Suggestions

  I hate to continue the stereotype that all moms do is sit around watching TV, but I have indeed been watching a LOT of Netflix lately. In my defense, raising a baby is friggin' hard, and if I have to sit and listen to Lincoln's fake camera sing, "Can I take some pictures with you? Click the button, see what's in view! I can take pictures of all of your friends and all of the other fun things you see!" (which DOESN'T EVEN RHYME) one more time without the aid of background TV, I might just karate chop it in half. The camera, that is, not my son.

  Anyway, because of my dedication, I now have a list of recommendations for those of you who might be looking for something new to watch! (these are listed in no particular order)

  --Sherlock
Source
  Sherlock is a modern-day telling of Sherlock Holmes, and a brilliant one. The casting is amazing, the writing is witty and suspenseful, and it's an overall delight. Steven Moffat (who is very connected with Doctor Who and wrote many of its best episodes in my opinion) co-created Sherlock with Mark Gatiss (who plays Mycroft in the show). They're both huge fans of the original stories, and it shows. This isn't a cut-and-paste of Sir Doyle's work, but the nods to it are fun. I love the second season even better than the first, and I can't wait for the third!

--North & South
Source
  If you're a Pride & Prejudice fan, you'll love North & South. It has many similarities, but also focuses on industrial relationships, which is interesting (more interesting than it sounds, I promise). Plus, Mr. Thornton is incredibly dreamy. Those blue eyes . . . 

--Alice
Source
  Alice is a short miniseries, and it's like a cross between 10th Kingdom (which I also highly recommend if you're like me and you're a fairytale junky) and the new Alice and Wonderland with Johnny Depp. I really enjoy the whimsical, and this semi-dark modern retelling was really up my alley. I want to watch it again right now, actually . . . 

--Mary and Max

Source
  First off, this is claymation. And pretty much anything claymation or stop-motion immediately wins coolness points in my book. Based on a true story (which is sure to make my dad snicker), this touching story introduces Mary, a lonely girl from Australia in a dysfunctional family, who badly wants a friend. She becomes pen pals with Max, a man living in New York. The two strike up an unusual friendship that lasts through their lives. Morbid, sad, lovely, and hilarious, Mary and Max is truly an experience. Also, I love the music. 

--The Guild

Source
  Okay, this is kind of a guilty pleasure show for me. If you don't mind some F-bombs, though, and you're a huge gaming nerd like me, it's really funny. I could easily see myself becoming Felicia Day's character. Also, she MAKES OUT WITH WIL WHEATON. You know, Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG? So much nerd it leaks out your ears. In a happy way.

--Foyle's War

Source
  If you're a fan of mysteries, this is an amazing show. It's set in England during World War II and focuses on Foyle (played by Michael Kitchen, who is amazing), a detective. It looks very authentic, it's got great mysteries (I rarely figured out who did it until seconds before it was revealed), and it's got British accents. What's not to like?



Also, the more obvious ones that you should check out:

Doctor Who (duh, time travel and an alien that you wish would be your best friend)
Firefly (it's a space western show. 'Nuff said)
Parks and Recreation (skip the first season, it gets way better after that)
Arrested Development (which I once heard accurately described as "smart jokes about dumb people")
30 Rock
Downton Abbey (basically a fantastic soap opera set in England during WWI)

  I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of other great ones, too. 

What are your favorite finds on Netflix?




3 comments:

  1. Imagine my awkwardness when my visiting teaching companion and the girl we visit go off on their anti-TV rants. I probably watch 2-3 hours a day. I just do. I don't tune out Olivia and I don't just sit there (until she goes to bed) but I get bored really easily.

    Bones
    Psych
    Lost

    Working on Psych right now, and the current season of Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I cannot do things like clean the kitchen, fold laundry, or cook unless I have the TV on something that helps me imagine I am NOT in-fact cleaning up after 5 other people, or cooking fish sticks, AGAIN!
    I love basically everything you guys mentioned, plus Battlestar Gallactica, because, yes, I am THAT nerdy.

    ReplyDelete